Our spiced shrimp spring rolls are served with a ginger persimmon jalapeno dipping sauce which makes for the perfect winter appetizer pairing for our Steel Chardonnay. Enjoy as a party treat or even serve as an entrée.
For Spring Rolls:
1) Begin by mixing shrimp with dried spices. In a large skillet or wok, stir fry shrimp and garlic in 1 tbsp of oil. This should take 2-3 minutes or until shrimp has begun to turn pink. Remove Shrimp from pan and set aside to cool. Add vegetables and continue to stir fry until pods begin to turn translucent. Chop shrimp into small pieces and return to pan for 1 minute. Set aside spring roll filling in medium bowl.
2) Place 1-2 tbsp of filling diagonally on center of wrapper. Fold lower corner over filling then fold in the side corners. Proceed to roll upwards brushing top corner with water to seal the spring rolls. When ready, deep-fry in oil until golden brown. Remove from fryer/pot and place on rack over paper towels to cool.
For Dipping Sauce:
1) When shopping for persimmons, be sure to pick out fruit that appears over ripened or squishy to the touch. Harder ones tend to be a bit more astringent and can require additional sugar to be added.
2) If possible, remove inner pulp from skins and add to small sauce pan over medium heat. Otherwise chop into medium pieces and proceed with previous instruction. Add ginger, jalapeno, and rice vinegar and simmer until runny consistency.
3) Add persimmon mixture to food processor or emulsion blender and add water and cilantro. Blend until smooth.
These Spring Rolls make for the perfect winter appetizer pairing for our Steel Chardonnay. Luscious pineapple flavors combined with notes of kiwi and honeysuckle blend harmoniously with the sweet and spicy notes of this spiced persimmon sauce. Enjoy as a party treat or serve as an entrée.